GLOBAL online food delivery company foodpanda.com has gobbled up key competitors in several Asian countries, thereby consolidating its leading position in the Asian food delivery market.
The Rocket Internet subsidiary recently secured US$60 million in a capital funding round and decided to acquire its competitors in India, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Pakistan, Hong Kong and Thailand.
In quick succession, it has acquired:
• JUST EAT of India, just after taking over TastyKhana in November, thereby expanding its pole position in the region’s biggest food delivery market;
• Room Service, a brand of Food Runner, in Malaysia and Singapore;
• City Delivery, also a brand of Food Runner, in the Philippines;
• EatOye! in Pakistan;
• Koziness in Hong Kong; and
• Food By Phone in Thailand. In Malaysia, the Philippines, and Singapore, foodpanda fully acquired Food Runner, a spin-off from DealGuru. Th e company is a Singapore-based operation founded in 2012 with the support and investment from Berlin-based Rebate Networks GmbH and Singapore based Digital Media Partners (DMP). It also operates Room Service in Malaysia and Singapore, as well as City Delivery in the Philippines.
foodpanda, prior to the acquisitions, runs foodpanda.com.my in Malaysia, foodpanda.sg in Singapore and foodpanda. ph in the Philippines.
As a result of these acquisitions, foodpanda now positions itself as clear market leader in these South-east Asian markets, catering to its customers with over 1,200 partner restaurants in all major cities of Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines.
In Pakistan, EatOye has more than 1,000 partner restaurants in 15 cities offering table reservations as well as online food ordering. EatOye! will continue to operate under existing management and, together with foodpanda.pk, offer the most convenient way to order food in Pakistan.
foodpanda.hk will integrate four brands to cement itself as a market leader in Hong Kong, by acquiring Koziness. com, previously branded iDelivery, which also operates brands such as Diala- Dinner, SOHO Delivery, and Ring-a- Dinner, which have been delivering food for 10 years.
In Thailand, foodpanda enters into a partnership with Food By Phone, which despite of its ‘phone’ brand name is a fast-growing online food delivery service. Food By Phone has been a pioneer in Thailand, working with the best restaurants in Bangkok since 1998.
Ralf Wenzel, co-founder and CEO of foodpanda group, said: “With the recent acquisitions, foodpanda becomes the market leader across South-east Asia.
“The combined expertise and experience of several great local companies allow us to significantly improve our offering and service to our customers.”